Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Welcome... to the Meatrix

I was browsing through 101Cookbooks the other day, and ran across a visitor comment about Meatrix.com

Upon seeing the word Meatrix, I immediately flashed back to my days as a vegan activist. When The Matrix hit video, I remember desperately trying to make an analogy between today's factory farms and the human farms in the Matrix. This adorable cartoon does it better than I ever could -- and they don't even ask you to give up meat! They just ask you to consider where your meat is coming from and who you choose to support with your dollar.

It really is something worth considering. God knows I buy my share of non-local produce and meats; but, when I sit down and think about it, I really should make more of an effort to join the "Eat Locally" movement.

Just the other day I stopped into a little Mexican market down the street from my apartment to pick up a lemon. "Yeah," you say, "big deal. It was probably closer than heading all the way to a big grocery store, right?"

Well, OK, it was closer. I didn't feel like dealing with parking. I was really doing it out of laziness. But this lemon -- this lemon I found was actually from someone's tree! I could tell -- it hadn't been treated, waxed, or made-up in any way. It was smallish, but perfectly thin-skinned and juicy. I paid a quarter for it, took it home and zested it. It was amazing.

And then I had to pause and consider that it seemed ODD to me that this lemon had simply grown on a tree in someone's yard. It never got dunked in a chemical bath. Never got waxed. The store owner didn't have to pay someone for it -- he probably picked it and brought it in. That's really how this whole food thing is supposed to work, isn't it? And yet to find something -- in a store, as opposed to a farmers' market -- that is being sold by the original grower is so unusual. It's sad, and yet so ingrained that I don't even think about it anymore...

2 Comments:

Blogger jess said...

hey, your link is broken. it is actually at the meatrix

10:28 PM  
Blogger Kristal said...

Thanks... fixed it.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home